Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Most people have what is called Uninsured Motorist (“UM”) or Underinsured Motorist (“UIM”) coverage under their auto insurance policy.  UM/UIM coverage are benefits that may be payable to you by your own insurance company in the event that you are involved in an accident with someone who is either uninsured (meaning they have no insurance at all) or underinsured (meaning the amount of insurance they carry is insufficient to cover the damages caused). 

By law, if you are involved in an accident that is not your fault, and the other driver either 1) does not have insurance or 2) does not have enough insurance to cover the cost of your claim, your insurance company cannot raise your rate for making a claim under your own UM or UIM policy.

If you've made a claim for UM or UIM benefits under your policy, it is important to know that you must get permission from your carrier before settling your underlying claim with the other driver or his/her insurance company.  Otherwise, your UM or UIM claim could be denied.

If you have been injured in an accident and need assistance with bringing a claim for UM/UIM benefits under your policy, contact us for a free consultation.